This blog will chronicle my various mental meanderings and our insane
quest to successfully raise a smaller version of us.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Breast Pumps and a Milk Monkey

I have been struggling with breastfeeding Derek and it has really started to depress me lately. I have plenty of milk generally but he has started cluster feeding in the afternoons and waking up every two hours at night. I can not keep up and I'm so sore that I was almost ready to throw in the towel this morning. It is not like me to give up. Especially after only two weeks. I keep telling myself that he's going to get it soon but the pain and fatigue are making me impatient. I am also thinking that his change in routine might be the result of a growth spurt.

I am not sure why I am so determined to breastfeed. I can pump and give him breast milk just as easily but that just seems like cheating. I want the bonding experience with him. If I can handle 15 hours of labor without drugs I should be able to put up with a bit of nipple pain and engorgement.

I have called around for a lactation consultant and the soonest one can get over here will probably be Wednesday. I refuse to quit until I have made a serious effort to fix the issue. If it can't be fixed then at least I will have done all i can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried using a shield? It fits over your nipple and keeps it from getting sore.

DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker