We arrived and he immediately went in and started playing. Jason and I used that opportunity to sneak out and watch from the windows. After a few minutes Derek started looking around for us and when he realized we were gone the crying began. I went upstairs to the parent's orientation and Jason stayed to keep an eye on Derek. When he finally came upstairs he reported that Derek was still crying. I was not surprised by this. In fact, I had steeled myself to the strong possibility. Jason on the other hand seemed a little misty. Awwwwww.
I left and proceeded to have the most productive Tuesday morning I can recall in the last two years. Trash out - check, finish up some work from yesterday - check, run by UPS and the Post office - check, go to the lighting store and Lowes to get stuff for the two bathrooms we are re-doing - check. I finished up about 30 minutes before Derek was to get out so I headed up to the school with the intention of hopefully seeing him happily playing.
So as you can see above, he was falling asleep in the "comfy spot" spot with his sippy cup. The teacher saw me and came out to give me an update on his day. The bad: He had a rough day and pretty much had to be held the whole time. He wouldn't eat or even sit at the table.
The good: A little boy in the class, Michael (one of a set of twins) really took a liking to him and held his hand when he was upset and played with him on the playground. Mrs Clay said it was really cute.
We went to Chick-fil-A on our way home as a reward and he has been napping since about 2 o'clock. Thursday will be hard since he knows what is coming but I know it's normal for there to be an adjustment period. Especially for a child like Derek who has never really been in the care of people he did not know well. Once he gets to know some of the kids and his teachers he'll be his usual charming self and might even come out of his shell enough to talk.
I did think something his teacher said was funny. She asked me about his hearing and mentioned that he didn't respond when you said his name. I confirmed her assumption that it was selective hearing and explained that it was hereditary from his father. ha ha ha


1 comment:
This will be SO GOOD for him!! I'm so excited and soooooo proud of you for being strong. I love you guys so so so much!!
Post a Comment