This blog will chronicle my various mental meanderings and our insane
quest to successfully raise a smaller version of us.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

So there I was....

I do not have a particular story to go along with the title of this post. It just seems like if my life had a narrator he/she would be starting with that phrase a lot lately.

A lot has been happening since my last post. I won't bore you with stories about grocery shopping trips or trips to the bank...so I turned 35, got a ticket for an expired registration sticker (in my defense I never got the renewal in the mail but anyway...), painted my sons bathroom, and have started planning his 2nd birthday party.

Per Sarah's request, here are some of the only pics I have that came out of my birthday party.








(Don't kill me Dawn. It was too cute)

So my girls and I went to Sushi Fugu for some yummy goodness and then on to the Glass Cactus on Lake Grapevine to see a 70s Cover Band called Le Freak. I had a refresher course in the lesson, why NOT to wear fabulous shoes out dancing. OUCH!! But the company was great, the band was great and good times were had.

Now, on to my ticket. I get pulled over and actually get a ticket for an expired registration which can get dismissed so honestly what is the point other than to irritate people. I go up to the Tax office with Derek in tow, stand in line, get my new registration and off we go to the court building after a ten minute fight to get Derek into his car seat. I put Derek in his stroller because I'm worried about him running around. We get inside, get through the line to be told that I didn't pay the fine. In error I thought that I would be paying the fine to the courts not the tax office and no one at the tax office said anything...anyway, so off we go back to the tax office right? No. Wrong. Derek goes atomic when we get back to the car. He does not want to go back into his seat. He's angry, I'm irritated. It is humid, hot and after about ten minutes we are both crying, tired and I'm thinking that a police officer is going to come out any minute and arrest me for thinking I'm mistreating my child because no child would cry so long and so loud about merely being put in his car seat. Again...wrong. EPIC wrong! So finally I force Derek into his seat and the thought of doing this again after visiting the tax office again seems just slightly less desirable than shoving sand in my eye. Thank goodness I had the foresight to get an extension. Take two a week later turned out much better. Both Derek and I learned a valuable lesson. Derek got to see our government at work and I got to endure an experience that will ensure I will not let my registration lapse anytime soon. Lesson learned.

On to the next event...my brother and his girlfriend bought their first house. YEAH! It needed (and still needs) quite a bit of TLC but Mom, Dad and I probably drove David and Cat nuts in our efforts to "Help". We washed walls, we removed border to find more border and beyond that glue that wasn't ready to divorce the wall after such a long relationship. Now that's commitment! We trimmed and painted and tried not to freak out when finding an aunt hitchhiking on you after visiting the guest bathroom. I'm happy to report that they are now moved in and my brother is (out of necessity) turning out to be quite a decent plumber. :-) This story actually leads into the next one. After painting much of David's house it motivated me to tackle Derek's bathroom. A "To Do" that has been on our list since moving into the house some five years ago.

Jason and I are all motivated and off to Lowe's we go for paint and supplies. I tape the bathroom and we get two coats of primer on pretty quickly. (Just a note to those who are looking for an odorless primer....Kilz Odorless primer is in fact NOT odorless.) Two coats of paint and we are ready to remove the tape. This part of the process does not do so smoothly. So after several weeks the bathroom is still not finished which irks me but we finally picked out the new light fixtures and things will come together soon.

Derek turned 23 months this past weekend which means it's party planning time. We purchased a canopy for the backyard and a larger kiddie pool. I have sent the evite and now I just need to get the plates, hats, etc once I have a rough headcount. I've already decided on the theme and am excited that Derek should enjoy his cake experience more this year. He's still not talking other than MaMa, DaDa, "wow wow" (for a show he likes, Wubzy), a moo sound and humming the "ABC" song. My Mom thinks he is "Baaing" when asked what sound a sheep makes but I think the sound he is making is a far cry from a bleat.

Regardless of his speech skills he start Mother's Day Out in September and he already has his backpack. I couldn't resist when I saw it.



My baby is growing up. More pictures to come...

No comments:

DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker