This blog will chronicle my various mental meanderings and our insane
quest to successfully raise a smaller version of us.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

For The Girls...

You boys will need to come back another time as this is a girly post.

At my last annual appointment my doctor came across a lump in my right breast. She was concerned enough that she scheduled me for a sonogram to have it looked at. I went in this morning for the sonogram and after taking a look the technician decided that a mammogram was needed. Mammogram!?!? I'm only 34. So off to the waiting room I went while they called my doctor's office and insurance to get it pushed through. They tell me I'll be waiting about an hour so I look around the waiting room to find something to read. No People or Parents magazine in sight, just lots of Cancer centered materials. I started reading those for lack of anything else and was soon crying after reading three cancer stories. I covertly took a peek to make sure no one noticed me and realized I was surrounded by two women in their 70s-80s, and a few 50+. I was the youngest and I did get a few stares which I equated to "oh she must be here with someone." Anyway, back to my tale...after the third cancer story complete with pictures of a 6 year old little girl with brain cancer I put the magazine down and started reading pamphlets. Those should be safe enough. The hour mark came and went slowly. After another 30 minutes they called me back.

I have heard all kinds of stories about mammograms. One thing lived up to the hype. Man was it cold in there! No, not cold....arctic. I half expected to be referred to a dermatologist to treat my frostbite/hypothermia when I left. The mammogram itself wasn't that bad until they took the "angle" shot. That was a tad uncomfortable. Another thing I found amusing was the small talk. I think I would have rather talked about the procedure itself, boobs or even pancakes, but sports and childbirth...hmm not so sure there.

I was then told to get dressed and that the results would be mailed to me and my doctor but that everything looks okay. Okay, I'll take it. So please keep me in your prayers that everything is okay. I really prefer to not have another mammogram until 40.

1 comment:

Aunt Ann said...

Dana - We will certainly keep you in our prayers. Be sure to post as soon as you get the results. An "Everything looks ok" comment is very encouraging, though!

Although I never post a comment, just wanted you to know that I check your blog every morning, and am always delighted to see new posts and pictures of Derek. He gets cuter with each new post, and it is so much fun to see him growing into such an adorable little boy!

DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker